Tuesday 30 December 2014

Diary #1: 37 tonnes of gold

"So let me get this straight." The steel glint in Stannel's eye showed he hadn't yet made his mind up. This was going to be a test.

"You took a mission to deliver 37 tonnes of gold." I nodded, wondering where he'd found out about that escapade. I thought I'd buried it.

"Ran out of time making the run to an isolated station in the arse end of nowhere. Pissed off those so called 'legit' business partners by stealing their goods, and then got caught not once but TWICE trying to fence it." I nodded again more slowly, unsure where this was going.

"And by those thrice damned zealots as well." A flush of embarrassment tried to rise onto my cheeks.

"Well for a slaver you sure know how to build a reputation." That struck deep, following on so quickly. I struggled inwardly to keep control while he remained motionless, watching, waiting.

I took a deep breath: "Former... slaver." Then a pause to let the implication of those words sink in. "And I may have taken some bounty from those zealots that... stray from the light."

A tight smile broke slowly across Stannel's face. "I have some need of that kind of attitude. Lets talk."

No comments:

Post a Comment